At least, forty-three people have been confirmed dead following separate attacks on two villages in Burkina Faso, government spokesman Remis Dandjinou said in a statement on Monday.
"According to preliminary data, 43 people became victims [of the attacks]. Six injured were sent to Ouahigouya Regional Hospital," the spokesman said, as quoted by the Koaci news website.
The incident took place in the country's Barga department in the Nord region on Sunday. The attackers remain unknown.
Troops ride in a vehicle near the French Embassy in central Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
According to Sputnik News, Islamist groups linked to al-Qaeda* and Daesh* terrorist organisations have wreaked havoc in the northern part of the West African country for years.
Last month, unknown assailants attacked a village in northern Burkina Faso, killing at least 24 people. Another 18 people were injured in the attack and some were kidnapped.
Sputnik News